Sunday, February 27, 2011

Reflections.

I had such a great class with K. today. I could not wait to share it with someone!

It's been sometime since I was trying to get him to repeat the sounds that I pronounce. The challenge is that he can actually talk; he says 'bah', 'dah', one or two occasional words, but he is not able to connect words to actions. I feel that he talks only when he feels like doing so, and does not actually communicate. I don't feel that he uses words as tools to get something for himself, or to express his emotions, needs, thoughts. That's why I felt, that though his speech therapist has done a great job, in making sure he understands the beauty of speech, and at least starts talking, something was missed out.

I did some research and came to a conclusion that imitation skills are important prerequisite to communication. How am I supposed to teach him to say words, if he does not even want to repeat my sounds, whenever needed?

So few classes ago I tried the ever-famous lollipop, as a reinforcement tool for making him repeat either oral movement or a sound. Well, turned out it was probably his first time to ever see/try a lollipop. First class turned into a observation and exploration. Next two classes I unsuccessfully tried getting him to imitate my mouth movements or a sound I produce. Alas, in vain!

But today he did it! At first of course it was on 5th try, then on 3rd, and then finally he repeated the sound straight away! I was so thrilled. He repeated sounds from the Sound Song that I am using (will be posted later); primarily - bah, boh, beeh, dah, and sah, soh, seeh.

It is a great progress for him. I can't stop thinking back to our first classes, where he did not even pay attention to my presence in the room, not talking about imitating an action song, or repeating my sounds.

I am just thrilled!

No comments:

Post a Comment